Sydney to <span class="highlight">Dubbo</span>

Submitted: Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:08
ThreadID: 78398 Views:5145 Replies:3 FollowUps:3
This Thread has been Archived
Hi All,

First post even though I have been following some threads for a while.

What would be a good day drive from Sydney to Dubbo? We will be leaving early (5am) and don't mind driving all day as long as we get to Dubbo with some light left to setup tent.

We were thinking about going via Sunny Corner.

SYD - Meadow Flat
Meadow Flats Sunny Corner Rd
Dark Corner Rd
Cupitts Ln
Eskdale Rd
Mount Horrible rd
Limekins Rd
Pyrmonts Ln
Peel Durramana Rd
Turondale Rd
The Bridle track
Dixons Long Point Rd
Ullamalla Rd
Long Point rd
Boshers Creek Rd
Kerrs Creek rd

Then just up to Dubbo. Is this too much in one day?

Would it be best to cut out Sunny corner and do The Bridle track or vice versa?

Any suggestions much appreciated.

Cheers,
Andrew
Back Expand Un-Read 0 Moderator

Reply By: Gazal Champion - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:45

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:45
Hi Afollan, any time is a good time to drive out of Sydney.

I imagine it will be plain sailing from Katoomba west so if you leave early as you suggest you should get there in plenty of time but I would not take any of the detours you are suggesting as it is probably a 6 hour run to Dubbo, no detours.

It's been 40 years since I have traveled from Sydney to Dubbo (got out of Sydney 25 years ago) so I cannot say with any real certainty just how long it will take but I have been to many of the detours you are suggesting and i can assure you that there will not be sufficient time for sightseeing given your travel parameters.

Hopefully someone with more current knowledge will give you a better idea of what you have in front of you.
Cheers, Bruce.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

AnswerID: 416308

Follow Up By: Gazal Champion - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:55

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 18:55
In thinking more about your question you could probably fit in Sunny Corner without too much of a detour but the rest will consume a fair bit of your time and especially the Bridle Track. First went there in 1965 shooting and Camping on Bruinbun which is on the bridle track. Most of the detours you mentioned merit a trip on their own. Lots to see and do along the Macquarrie River running up to Hill End which is where the Bridle Track ends, or starts, depending on your direction of travel.
At home and at ease on a track that I know not and
restless and lost on a track that I know. HL.

Lifetime Member
My Profile  Send Message

FollowupID: 686426

Reply By: Member - Rob S (NSW) - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 19:53

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 19:53
Hi

Your looking at 5 hours To Dubbo from Western Sydney/ Windsor on the bitumen.

With All that sight seeing detour i think you would only makeOrange via Dixons long point/ Ophir with any day light left.

Cut out Sunny cnr, head to Bathurst/ bridle track/ Dixons long point / Ophir, might give you a bit more time.

And all dependant on track conditions generaly good but after lots of rain can be slower.

In reveres from Orange /Ophir/ Dixons long point/ Hill end /Sunny cnr/ Sydney i would allow a full day. You would not want to be out on the Sunny cnr tracks
in the dark. Very easy to get lost if you don't know the tracks well.

Rob

I only ever made one mistake
and that's when I thought I was wrong!

Lifetime Member
My Profile  My Blog  My Position  Send Message

AnswerID: 416321

Follow Up By: Madfisher - Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:37

Tuesday, May 11, 2010 at 21:37
Good advice, but camp at long piont then travel to dubbo next day.If you really need to get to Dubbo leave the bridle track for another time(very scenic but slow) and travel out the Turondale rd to Hillend.
Cheers Pete
FollowupID: 686453

Reply By: Afollan - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 19:04

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 19:04
Thanks all for the advice.

We have decided to just do SYD - Hill End via The Bridle. Maybe go home via Sunny Corner on the Sunday.

Where is the best place to camp for two nights on The Bridle Track? Towards the end you have "Cave Hole Reserve" & "Turon Crossing Reserve". Are either better or worse for camping? or is there a better option?

Cheers.
AnswerID: 416929

Follow Up By: OzTroopy - Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 19:34

Sunday, May 16, 2010 at 19:34
Turon Crossing Reserve is pretty ordinary I thought when there a coupla months back.

More of a picnic spot unless you have some hobbies to keep you busy around the creek.

If time allowed on your trip I'd push on in to the camping area at Hill End and spend a day poking around the town .... Theres plenty there to keep you busy for a weekend.
FollowupID: 687031

Sponsored Links